Phil's EDCI 336 Blog

The whiteboard is by far the best tool for a teacher. Totally remarkable.

Free Inquiry Week 5-6

Hi all! Please forgive me not posting last week. It has been a rough patch for me. As some of you may know, I had to put one of my dogs down this week. It was truly one of the hardest things my family has gone through. I know it is cliché, but it really does feel like we lost a member of our family. His brother, Max, has been pining all week as well and it has been so hard not being able to communicate to him that his brother is gone. As you can imagine, I have not been playing that much during this period. In fact, I have not been doing much of anything.

I have been taking things a day at a time and I finally picked up the guitar again yesterday. I played for about two hours and I can almost play Elizabeth Cotton’s Freight Train. I am not 100% ready to film it yet, but I think I will be ready next week. I have attached a link to the song at the bottom of the post.

I am worried about what I am going to move onto next and I have nearly accomplished everything in my Trello board. Then, almost miraculously, my old guitar teacher from when I was a child returned a call I made at the beginning of the semester. He remembered me and is excited to start up lessons again. What luck! I have agreed to an hour-long lesson every two weeks for $40.00. I think this may be a game changer. I always felt a little guilty about quitting all those years ago, and I am glad I have the chance to redeem myself in some form. Aside from that, I do not really have much else to tell all of you. I cannot wait to tell you about my first lesson.