Phil's EDCI 336 Blog

The whiteboard is by far the best tool for a teacher. Totally remarkable.

Third Reflection

Third Reflection

This week was a busy one. I had four different assignments due and for one of them, I had to make a short two-minute movie outlining how I came to be in the PDP program. This being the first time I have ever made a movie in any capacity; I took this opportunity to challenge myself. I could have just filmed myself talking for ninety seconds and have been done with it in an hour or so, but I want to be able to use these tools as a teacher in my future classes. I did a voice-over collage with lots of effects and text. Although the level of skill it took was low, I  think this satisfies two more Media Technology competencies: audio, video editing, and screen capture. I am not including image editing because I did not technically alter any images. A final note, I have decided to participate in sober October, and I do not think I have ever craved a whiskey more than when I was trying to put together this movie.

I believe it was Daniel that recommended DaVinci Resolve as the program I should use for editing videos. However, I had already started using Windows Movie Maker at this point. I did download DaVinci, though, and will try and use it for another project. YouTube was my primary resource for learning how to use the program and I have attached the links to some of the movies I watched at the bottom of this post. Despite the plethora of readily available resources, I really struggled to complete this project. This in part because I really did not enjoy making this movie. Perhaps it would have been different if the movie’s subject were not me. I have always hated describing or “selling” myself. I also now have a Practicum Introduction Letter to write for next week as well.

In the end, I am not proud of what I created. If I were to improve the movie to a level that I could be proud of, I would have to sink another two the three hours into it, and I feel that I should just move on. The other thing that bugged me was that unless I purchase the full program, there is a “watermark” throughout the movie. Anyways, I did not purchase the program and, therefore, the movie still has the watermark. Against my better judgment, I have also attached the link to the blog post.

See you next week!

1. Adelle October 12, 2020

Phil, you are doing great. Sober October was a great decision as I am doing the same thing and I also have never wanted a good olde G&T more. It seems that you are on the right track and that you keep plugging along and getting those competencies check off the list. everything is fine. November is only a couple weeks away 😉