Phil's EDCI 336 Blog

The whiteboard is by far the best tool for a teacher. Totally remarkable.

Free Inquiry: Week 3

The dreaded week is upon us: this week, I film and show you all what I have been working on. And while I am self-conscious, I must admit, I have made some real progress. I even came up with a riff I kind of like and a chord progression. I may have started writing lyrics, God help me. Sorry to disappoint you, but I will not be sharing those with you in this blog post.

This week, I made it to the six of Tony’s movies and the level of difficulty has risen. Thankfully, he really does not throw a lot at you at once. For the first few videos or so, Tony does not ask us to move our fretting hand at all, we just learned the pinching motion over the C, the F, and the G chords. Pretty basic stuff. By the fourth movie, he has us insert an alternating baseline. This just means that between the quarter pinches you are hitting a different string making them eighth notes. It just adds some rhythm to the mix. The sixth video, however, asks us to use an alternating baseline while moving the fretting hand. The movements are simple, but I really struggle with hitting the right strings.

Practice, as we all know is key. Sometimes when I am watching a movie or even in class…I am simultaneously playing guitar, just to establish that muscle memory. I have started playing in the mornings too. I find it is a great way to get your brain working before class or work. My blog post is going to be a bit shorter this week because I am posting the video and I feel as though it speaks for itself. I also linked an artist I have really been digging lately. A Canadian boy: Colter Wall.

P.S. Sorry for the poor sound quality.

1. aaronmauger October 14, 2020

Well done! I don’t understand all the terms you have mentioned (I have no musical background) but the progress so far is great to see!